Rwanda visa requirements for South African citizens
The Rwandan Government requests visitors from South Africa to have a visa before traveling to this country. Although the Rwanda visa is available online, as a travel consultant, we can confirm that you will need to visit an embassy to obtain your visa. Instead of spending much time and money just on a short-term trip visa, you can choose to apply for a Rwanda e-visa for South African citizens.
If you’re traveling for tourism, then the Rwanda electronic visa can be your ideal option. You can stay in Rwanda for up to 30 days once you have it. Continue reading to learn more about the Rwanda visa requirements for South African citizens
1. Rwanda e-visa for South African citizens
The Rwanda e-Visa is an official travel document required for certain foreigners wishing to enter Rwanda. Because it is processed electronically, it is easier to obtain than a paper visa. With an e-visa, South African nationals may spend up to 30 days in Rwanda for tourism-related activities.
The fastest and most convenient method of getting a Rwanda e-Visa for South African citizens is to apply online. This electronic travel authorization allows South Africans to visit Rwanda for tourism/leisure, to visit family, or to transit through the country.
South African citizens planning to study, work, volunteer, seek medical treatment, or permanently relocate to Rwanda must apply for a visa in advance. This can be done by visiting the Rwanda embassy in South Africa
According to Rwanda’s current visa policy, there are 4 main types of Rwanda e-visas that South African citizens may use to visit Rwanda
- Rwanda e-Tourist Visa: This visa allows a single entry into Rwanda for a maximum of 30 days from the date of your entry.
- Rwanda conference Visa: It is issued for attending conferences inside Rwanda. With this type of e-visa, you can stay in Rwanda for up to 30 days from the date of your arrival.
- Rwanda transit visa: South African citizens who want to travel to another country but need to stop in Rwanda to transit through the country must obtain a transit visa. This e-visa type allows you to stay in Rwanda within 03 days from the date of your arrival.
- East African Online Visa: This e-visa type is designed for all visitors who wish to visit Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda with multiple-entry permits. It allows for multiple entries into each of the three countries. Traveling between and within them is only permitted for tourism purposes (including family visits) and has a 90-day validity period.
2. Rwanda Visa Requirements for South African citizens
When applying for an electronic visa for Rwanda from South Africa, travelers must adhere to the requirements outlined in Rwanda's visa policy.
To meet the Rwanda e-Visa requirements for South African citizens travelers need:
- A South African passport is valid for at least 06 months from the date of your arrival.
- A portrait photo of yourself.
- A frequently used email address to receive your e-visa result.
South African passengers should obtain a new passport before applying for the Rwanda e-visa if their passport expires within 6 months and/or they do not have any blank pages left.
When South African citizens have gathered all of the required documents and complied with the current requirements for visas, they are ready to apply for a Rwanda e-visa.
3. How to apply for a Rwanda visa from South Africa:
The online process to get a visa to Rwanda from South Africa is very simple and quick. South African citizens can apply for a Rwanda e-visa by completing the online application form. There are 3 steps to take, and applicants from South Africa should expect to spend about 15 minutes on the whole thing.
Read more: How to apply for a Rwanda e visa
Rwanda e-visa applications are typically processed within three business days of submission. In some cases, it may take longer, so South African citizens should apply for their Rwanda e-visa well in advance of their trip. Because of the nature of the electronic format, South African citizens will receive their approved Rwanda e-visa via the email address they provided when filling out the application form.
The approved Rwanda e-visa for South African citizens is electronically linked to the passport of the South African holder.
When entering Rwanda, it is recommended to bring a copy of the approved e-visa, as the border officer may ask to see it alongside the traveler's South African passport.
4. Rwanda e-visa for South African citizens fee and payment method:
To complete your payment, the first thing you need to know is that you are about to pay 02 kinds of Rwanda e-visa fees if you want to apply for a Rwanda e-visa for South African citizens: the government fee and the service fee. In addition, consider adding your Rwanda travel insurance to have an assured trip.
For the government fee, since South Africa is not on the exemption list of Rwanda, you are required to pay this fee, as a citizen of South Africa.
For the service fee, it is up to your choice of processing time. In total, there are 03 options with different processing times for you to choose from:
- Normal: this service type offers you a standardized processing time that you will get your e-visa within 03 business days.
- Urgent: you will have a higher state of service when choosing this type. As a result, you will receive your e-visa in a guaranteed 48 hours.
- Super urgent: this e-visa is the highest priority type that can help you get your e-visa within 24 hours.
Payment method: you can choose to pay in 02 ways: electronic payment (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Paypal) and wire transfer to the Bank of Cyprus
Besides, we also provide other service packages to help customers have a good trip to Rwanda such as Rwanda travel insurance, e-sim card in Rwanda, car pick-up services in Rwanda
Rwanda Visa Requirements for South Africa Citizens FAQs
Yes. All South Africa citizens who want to travel to Rwanda legally must have a valid visa. Rwanda is the land of a thousand stunning hills and wildlife, which is the most remarkable feature for everyone around the world, including South Africa travelers. As a result, Rwanda has become one of the most attractive destinations that pop up in people’s minds. So, If South Africa nationals want to enter Rwanda, they must get a visa for themselves.
By accessing Rwanda Immigration Services, we are providing a smooth and simple online portal for South Africa travelers to apply in the fastest way. In just a few minutes, travelers can apply for an e-visa with devices that are connected with the internet. There are 4 main categories of Rwanda e-visa that South Africa can get:
- Tourist e-visa: Valid for 3 months from the date of arrival which allows travelers to enter Rwanda for tourism purposes.
- Conference e-visa: Valid for 90 days after being issued that permit South African who want to join a conference or meeting with the purpose of negotiating, purchasing, etc.
- Transit e-visa: Valid for 3 months from the date of issuance. This type of visa is for whose final destination is not Rwanda, allowing temporary stay for 3 days in total.
- East Africa e-visa: Valid for 90 days from the arrival date which gives South Africa citizens permission to travel between Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda with multiple entries.
Any South African passport holders who want to visit Rwanda must have a visa or they will be rejected at the border control. All travelers who own South African passports also apply for an e-visa because South Africa is not in the exempt countries list for entering Rwanda. So, remember that a valid passport is one of the conditions to meet the requirements for having a Rwanda visa.
Previously, South Africa citizens had to wait in line to have an in person interview with the embassies or consulates for a long period of time. This wastes a lot of time for travelers to obtain an e-visa which makes them lose their interest in visiting Rwanda. By the convenient online portal at Rwanda Immigration Services, it will be easier and smoother for South African passport holders to apply for an e-visa many times if they want within a few minutes. The process time is also quick too, it just only takes them 1 to 3 working days to have Rwanda e-visa for South Africans.
If South African citizens plan to visit Rwanda, they must consider having a valid visa first. And then prepare all necessary documents for completing the application form easier because we may ask them to provide some.
A Rwanda visa fee is based on the total fee of the Rwanda government fee and service fee. The government charge is non-refundable when you complete the visa application form. The service fee can be changed depending on South African citizens’ purposes to enter Rwanda with which type of e-visa and the processing time to be granted a Rwanda e-visa.
Generally, the government e-visa fee for Tourist/ Conference/ Transit e-visa is 90$. The East Africa e-visa cost 150$ by the government. Besides, our service fee is charged 69$ and this can be higher depending on travelers’ needs for having an e-visa for types and processing time aspects. In case South Africa citizens want to get a Rwanda e-visa sooner, they can apply for a Rush Visa service instead. However, South African citizens might be charged a high fee if they choose that option.
All the cost of e-visa Rwanda Immigration Services has been announced publicly at the Visa Fees for South African travelers can refer. All electronic payment will be accepted with credit or debit card, Visa, Master Card, American Express or Paypal. In addition, South Africa citizens can transfer money through the Bank of Cyprus. All your payment processes will be secured on our website.
Since 2018, the Rwanda government has approved the electronic visa for South Africa nationals to enter Rwanda with the purposes of tourism, conference and transit. This means a lot to the growth of the economy for the country due to the increasing number of travelers from South Africa.
If South Africans are questioning how long to get a Rwanda visa, it depends on which processing time that they choose. Generally, it will take from 1 to 3 business days to process e-visa. This is estimated to be quite quicker than waiting for an interview with embassies or consulates to get a visa. So, South African citizens must apply at least 4 working days before you intend to come to Rwanda.
There are 3 processing time frame provided by Rwanda Immigration Services:
- Normal: For South Africa who want to obtain an e-visa within 3 working days. During this period, travelers will have time to prepare some extra documents required for an e-visa.
- Urgent: For South Africa who want to get an e-visa in 2 working days.
- Super Urgent: This is the best option for South Africa who are in a hurry and wish to receive an e-visa within 24 business hours.
The number of entries is depending on which type of Rwanda e-visa that South Africa citizens apply for. The answer for this question is yes but only for East Africa e-visa. With other types of Rwanda e-visa, South Africa nationals can not enter Rwanda more than once. If your e-visa expires, travelers must apply for a new one to have permission to enter Rwanda. E-visa restricts the number of entries but travelers can apply for an e-visa many times. So make sure your e-visa is still valid or you will be fined by the Rwanda government.
Typically, there are 4 types of Rwanda e-visa that South Africa can use for tourism, short-term business and transit:
Tourist e-visa: Allow travelers to enter the country one time only and stay in Rwanda within 30 days from the intended date of arrival.
Conference e-visa: Allow South Africa nationals single entry and the duration of the stay is 30 days in total.
Transit e-visa: Permit single entry for South Africa citizens and they can stay in Rwanda for a maximum of 3 days overall.
East Africa e-visa: This is the only type of e-visa that allows travelers to enter Rwanda as many times as you want between Rwanda, Kenya, Uganda for 90 days from the date of arrival.
Rwanda is a dream land for those who love journeys and adventures. This country is blessed with wonderful greenery and diverse wildlife. Started in 2018, the Rwanda e-visa online system has been introduced for over 200 eligible countries to apply for an e-visa, including South Africa. Thanks to this system, South Africa citizens can travel to Rwanda for tourism, visit their loved ones, attend conferences or transit.
Rwanda Immigration Services online portal brings the easiest and the smoothest system for South Africa to give the best experiences ever. Therefore, travelers can have their own e-visa within just a few minutes by electronic devices with stable internet connection. Once travelers applied, the e-visa will be processed and sent to your email box. Please check your email frequently for update information and receive e-visa.
By 3 simple steps below, South African nationals can own their Rwanda e-visa easily:
- Step 1: Fill out the application form with personal and passport information
- Step 2: Check the information twice to make sure it is correct and then choose the payment method and make payment.
- Step 3: Get your Rwanda e-visa via email that you gave to us and get ready for stamping at the border control.