Rwanda visa requirements for Japanese citizens
If you are a citizen of Japan planning to visit Rwanda, then you need to apply for a Rwanda visa for Japanese Citizens. Rwanda implemented an electronic visa system in 2018, allowing travelers to apply for their visas online.
We guarantee a quick and easy application process. The Rwanda e-Visa for Japanese Citizens is only valid for a single entry and allows you to stay in Rwanda for a maximum of 30 days per entry.
This page contains all the information the Japanese need to obtain their Rwanda visa from Japan
1. Rwanda e-visa for Japanese citizens:
The Rwanda electronic Visa is an official travel item required for Japanese travelers wishing to enter the Republic of Rwanda. In accordance with Rwanda's visa policy, Japanese nationals are required to hold a valid visa to enter the country. Because it is processed electronically, it is easier to obtain than a paper visa.
The online visa for Rwanda can be used for visits for tourism, leisure, and visiting family in the country.
Rwanda e-visa for Japanese citizens allows them to enter the country once and stay for 30 days. Japanese passport holders can apply entirely online, saving time and money that would otherwise be spent in person at an embassy or consulate.
Eligible citizens will be able to apply via the simple Rwanda online visa application, which will only take a few minutes to fill out with personal and passport information.
The length of stay and number of entries permitted with the Rwanda tourist e-visa have yet to be announced by the Rwandan government and will be published on this site once available.
For long-term stays or visits for purposes other than tourism, the Japanese travelers will need a different type of Rwanda visa. Japanese travelers should pay a visit to the Rwanda embassy in Japan for further visa options.
Types of e-Visas in Rwanda
There are 04 versions of the Rwanda e-visa available to Japanese passport holders:
- Rwanda e-tourist visa: This type of Rwanda visa is made for Japanese travelers planning to visit Rwanda as tourists. The Rwanda e-tourist visa for Japanese citizens is valid for a maximum of 90 days from the date of issue, grants travelers a single entry into the country and authorizes them to stay for 30 days.
- Rwanda conference visa: is available if travelers would like to attend or speak at a conference, meeting, or seminar in Rwanda. The Rwanda Conference E-Visa is valid for a maximum of 90 days from the date of issue and allows a Single Entry to Rwanda. The duration of stay for this tone is limited to 30 days.
- Rwanda transit visa: Japanese citizens who need to stop in Rwanda before continuing on to their final destination must obtain a transit visa. Japanese travelers can spend up to 72 hours exploring the country while they wait for their next flight.
- East Africa Visa: is designated for traveling to Rwanda, Kenya and Uganda with just one visa. With this visa, Japanese citizens can visit 03 countries many times within 03 months from the issued date and stay there for up to 90 days each time.
2. Rwanda e-visa requirements for Japanese citizens:
Applicants from Japan traveling abroad should consult the Rwanda visa requirements for Japanese citizens. The following are the main requirements for applying for a Rwanda e-Visa:
- A Japanese passport that is valid for at least 06 months from the date of arrival in Rwanda and at least 02 blank pages for marking arrival/exit stamps.
- Digital copy of the passport bio page.
- Digital photo: All travelers must have a recent passport-size digital photo in order to apply for a Rwanda visa online (either in JPEG or PNG format).
- A valid email address will be used as the primary communication channel between the Rwandan government and the Japanese applicants.
Japanese visitors who have a passport that is due to expire in less than 6 months or does not have at least 02 blank pages must renew it before submitting their e-visa application.
Japanese citizens with dual nationality should keep in mind that they must use the same passport for their Rwanda e-visa request as they will use to enter the country.
The Rwanda electronic visa for Japanese citizens is a one-of-a-kind travel authorization. It cannot be transferred from one travel document to another and is electronically linked to the original passport used for the application.
Before beginning the application process, Japanese nationals must ensure that their passport meets the aforementioned requirements. If this condition is not met, we ask that they submit it for renewal with their local authorities as soon as possible.
3. How to apply for a Rwanda visa online from Japan:
Travelers who meet the Rwanda visa requirements for Japanese citizens can begin the process by completing the online application for the Rwanda e-Visa.
Japanese citizens must provide their travel information, as well as personal and passport information.
Japanese citizens can apply for a Rwanda visa online in 3 steps:
- Step 1: Filling out the Rwanda electronic visa application form with personal information, passport information, and travel information.
- Step 2: Paying the e-Visa processing fee with a valid debit or credit card, Visa, Mastercard, PayPal, or Wire transfer to our HSBC bank account
- Step 3: Download the Rwanda e-Visa and print it out.
Read more: How to apply for a Rwanda visa online
To avoid complications during processing, the information entered into the online form should be as accurate as possible. Common mistakes and missing data can cause processing delays and, in some cases, visa denials. Applicants from Japan are encouraged to review their responses before submitting their applications for review by the Rwandan government.
Rwanda e-Visa processing time from Japan
The Rwandan e-visa typically takes a minimum of 24 hours and a maximum of 03 days to process or receive a response, following:
- Normal: When you have plenty of time to wait for their documents, this is the cheapest option. They will receive their visa within 03 business days
- Urgent: Pay a higher fee, and our team will work on their travel request more quickly. They will receive their visa within 02 days
- Super Urgent: If they pay the premium fee, the travel document will be delivered immediately. They will receive their visa within 01 day.
Once the Rwandan authorities have completed their evaluation, they will securely send their approved e-visa as a PDF attachment along with the notification notice via email.
It is recommended that Japanese nationals apply for the e-visa at least 07 days before traveling to Rwanda in order to have a stress-free holiday or business visit.
With the Rwanda electronic visa, the process is much more convenient, has fewer risks and drawbacks, and is a preferred option for Japanese citizens.